This post is the part of a weekly blogpost series updating you on what’s going on at OpenCorporates this week. Want to help us get more data? Claim a mission!
No weekly standup for 3 weeks?! I know, I know. I could feel the tut tut all the way to Ottawa but guess what, we’re back with three weeks of news!
Data the OpenCorporates team is scraping…. from the Data team
Shyam, our bot-writer extraordinaire has been reviewing the bots written for financial licenses and helping Peter Evans improve them. He also looked at company fetchers to see what he could improve there too – and added Indiana to OpenCorporates for the first time (it’s a work in progress, but already we have over 450,000 companies). We’ve also been looking at Danish company financials.
Max 5 word update on what mysterious problem solving they are up to…. from the Dev team
Seb: Data model streamlining
Bots submitted by community members…. from Peter Evans.
Peter Evans has been busy accepting bots from ODI, Ben, Dinotash, Knut & so many more people! At this rate, we’ll be finished with the campaign soon.
Do you want to join the fun and claim an Open Data mission? Here’s what Peter suggests.
MEDIUM : Write a bot for ‘finance Licences (securities) – Superintendency Of Companies And Securities (Ecuador)’
MEDIUM : Write a bot for Finance Licences (securities) – Securities And Exchange Commission (thailand)’
HARD : Write a bot for Finance Licences (securities / Insurance) – Financial Services Authority (indonesia).
The next #FlashHacks is…
London, 24th June, 5 – 9.30pm >> Join Us!
Want to host your own #FlashHacks? Get in touch email@example.com .
Events we spoke at
- Hera hosted a #FlashHacks event about “Mapping corporate networks of the largest Canadian public companies” in Ottawa. The first Canadian #FlashHacks!
- Hera did a session on Open Data Impact for Canadian Open Data Summit hosted by OpenNorth.
- Hera facilitated three breakout sessions during the Unconference for International Open Data Conference 2015, Ottawa.
- Hera and Chris hosted a workshop on “Follow the (corporate) money: using open data to improve integrity, procurement, development and reduce corruption & fraud”
- Chris spoke on two panels at International Open Data Conference 2015, Ottawa.
- We co-hosted the founding meeting of the Joined-Up Data Alliance (see below)
- Chris took part in a B20 workshop on Beneficial Ownership in Paris
Tweets of the Weeks
- Ben is excited to welcome his new OneWheel (http://rideonewheel.com). In his words: It has now arrived and it’s great (see pic above). All I have to do now is spend years mastering it without killing myself.
- Chris bumped into the author of The Black Box Society at the OECD in Paris, and according to him: “We spent a fascinating but scary evening in a Paris bistro worrying about how little we can see (still less understand) of the world we live in today (OpenCorporates is referenced in the book). I also took some time off (shocker!) to see the Mets win in New York the previous week.”
- Peter E went for a “pretty epic walk” around the Cotswolds & practised some Ruby
- Hera travelled across Ottawa & Montreal but also somehow convinced herself to write 6 blog posts in 3 weeks.
- Seb thought this was “super cool”: Self-folding robots http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/06/mit-origami-robot/
- Shyam found a company with a peculiar name: