This post is the part of a weekly blogpost series updating you on what’s going on at OpenCorporates this week. Want to help us get more data? Claim a mission!
Data the OpenCorporates team is scraping…. from the Data team
Peter and Shyam looked at data freshness and working on new US business licenses. Shyam has also been fixing broken importers.
- We have new items in the Glossary (also shown as tool-tips):
- You can now clearly see that Corporate Groupings are user-contributed, and see an explanation of what they are
- We’ve added all the 106 jurisdictions we have data for, including: how many companies/officers in each, scores from the Open Company Data Index, and we now also show if there are known data quality problems with the underlying data.
5 word update on what mysterious problem solving they are up to…. from the Dev team
Lukas: Working on the advanced search
Peter: Reindexing all data objects in a category
Seb: Fixing lots of small things & MySQL
Bots submitted by community members…. from Peter Evans.
This week we had the first Data Dive to transcribe the financial disclosure of Donald J. Trump for the FEC this week. A primary school teacher, a few journalists and a researcher joined us yesterday to work through the filings and turn them into open data. We’ll be organising a few more data dives in the following weeks to complete over 500 rows of data and see where those leads take us. Interested? You can join us online too. Drop an email to email@example.com.
Tweets of the Week
Here are the links:
— Chris wrote an article for the Guardian on beneficial ownership: Who really controls companies? http://www.theguardian.com/the-b-team-partner-zone/2015/aug/10/ultimate-beneficial-ownership-big-business-corruption-foreign-corrupt-practises-act
— Brett Scott wrote an article in the Guardian how “Open data can unravel the complex dealings of multinationals” http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/aug/11/open-data-can-unravel-the-complex-dealings-of-multinationals?CMP=share_btn_tw
- Lukas: went to an amazing hardware developer camp! Evidence below:
- Shyam went on a visit to his farm!
- Peter got a very entertaining delivery from Tesco:
- Ben: Took his daughter to a Ffa-la-la which is altogether a different kind of party.
- Seb is on holiday from today!Chris: Went sailing on the Thames after 20 years.
- Hera (me!) spent a night mapping Trump’s corporate network. More on this later.