Are you a CTO, or do you think you could be one? Are you looking for a new challenge? Would you like to work in a entreprenurial, fast-growing startup environment which benefits from a proven business model, solid revenues and no debt?
This is an exciting opportunity be a leader within an open data company with a mission to change the world and a compelling commercial proposition.
OpenCorporates is a visionary business mapping the world’s corporate information and uniquely making this available freely as open data. Our innovative commercial model and the considerable social impact of our mission have attracted diverse global customers including the World Bank, the US Treasury, and LinkedIn. Our data is commercially used to support compliance, KYC and business intelligence in scores of global businesses and by thousands of users of our open service.
Our tiny team has accomplished a huge amount: we’ve mapped over 90 million corporate entities, 21 million business licences, and hundreds of thousands of corporate networks. We measure our considerable social impact annually, and we facilitate use of our data in a wide range of research projects. In recognition of our work, this year we won the Open Data Institute’s Best Open Data Business award.
We are looking for an energetic, UK-based CTO with an entrepreneurial background, who wants to help take OpenCorporates to the next level. Our working hours and locations are flexible, but as part of the senior management team you should expect to be in our London office (Canary Wharf) for typically 3 days per week.
You will participate in the following challenges:
- Tripling our commercial income streams in 2016
- Increasing the reach and utilisation of our platform, in particular increasing the size and speed of our data ingestion process by two or three orders of magnitude
- Leading by example a largely remote technical and quality assurance team
- Line-managing a technical and QA team of six, across four countries.
- Championing new or improved processes (project management and assurance, continuous integration, code reviews, change management)
- Doubling the size of your team in the next 12 months, while ensuring it continues to function well as a team
- Participating directly in the development of features and infrastructure (while the team is small)
- Informing strategic direction of company
- Helping pitch to key clients
- Motivated by a desire to change the world for the better
- Working with management in a growing startup
- Championing and rolling out effective processes in a relevant environment
- Growing a team in a sustainable, profitable manner
- Technical line management and recruitment
- Working on large (partly) legacy codebases
- Solid Ruby on Rails skills
- Working in a distributed team
- A good understanding of Linux sysadmin
- “Big data” experience. e.g. ElasticSearch, MySQL, Mesos, Hadoop
- Board-level experience (governance, financing, strategy)
Salary and Benefits
- Flexible working conditions – both working hours and location
- Opportunity to co-create a plan to underpin the next phase of our growth and further define our brand and culture
- £90,000 salary
- Discussion with current CTO to prequalify your fit with the role
- Interview with current CTO
- Interview with current CEO and VP of Sales
- Meet all current staff and spend a day working with them
Interested? Please send your CV to email@example.com